Today I updated the packages on my server using the built-in “Virtualmin Package Updates” module. This is a terrific script that updates all virtual and core Linux packages with just one click! Several packages were updated including Apache, PHP, Perl, Python, ClamAV and of course Virtualmin (and a couple dozen more). I was running on Virtualmin 3.79 and upgraded to 3.83.
Everything went smoothly except 2 things. 1) The ClamAV install failed, and 2) The AWStats package said it completed succesfully but after upgrade I was getting the follow error when Virtualmin does it’s “self configuration check”.
The AWstats command /usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/awstats.pl was not found on your system. Check the module configuration to make sure it is using the correct paths.
When I looked in /usr/share/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/ there are no files!! What gives?
Turns out the issue was because YUM was trying to pull the updates from some repositories I added manually while installing some other packages.
So I did the following to correct the issue:
1) Ran this command to remove the package:
rpm --erase --nodeps awstats
Temporarily renamed a couple repos that I saw were causing the packages to get updated to the “non-supported” versions, namely the rpmforge and atomic repos. See screenshots below.
I needed to rename the repo file from “rpmforge.repo” to “rpmforge.repo.bak” so that it wouldn’t get picked up during the package install.
The standard location for these repos are:
After renaming the repo file I ran:
yum install awstats
And we see YUM is picking up the “Virtualmin approved” version of the package!
Same deal for ClamAV, the atomic.repo was the one I had to temporarily remove in that case: